Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Another day of firsts

Yesterday, my girls started the 4th and 8th grades. Terese's last year before high school - thinking about that gives me goosebumps! I just can't wrap my mind around her having gotten there so fast. Or that I could possibly be old enough to have a teenager. She turned 13, a milestone, and I didn't even comemorate it here. I feel like she will be moving out and I will hardly even remember her as a child, it has gone so fast. The next few years will be the true test of how we've done as parents. I have faith in us, but will pray nonetheless! She is a great kid.

My little Audrey did not get the teacher she hoped for, nor is her best friend in the same class. But she is resilient and makes friends easily, and I am not worried for her. I know that's easy for me to say, and that these things mean everything when you are a kid. But she came home yesterday feeling better about the year already, and I feel better too. She has decided to quit ballet and begin gymnastics, perhaps a little inspired by the Olympics. And that's fine, she has the aptitude for that and I think it's interesting how the kids naturally gravitate toward what they are really suited for on their own, eventually. And if she never makes it to the Olympics, that's fine too.

Jacob met his Kindergarten teacher yesterday, Ms. Macklin. She seems great and he was right at home in her classroom. He is excited about starting school tomorrow, and we are excited for him. His last day of preschool at Heights Christian was a weepy one for me, saying goodbye always is. They were good to him and good for him, and have affected the person he is and will be. I will try not to harp on how fast he's growing up, how it will feel to send my last baby off to Kindergarten tomorrow. Being sad will not stop it from coming, although I would be remiss to not recognize the sentiment of it all. Something tells me that won't happen - wish me luck!

No comments: